Because I look good in scrubs.

26 February 2013

Today I got to spend most of my day in the Operating Room (otherwise known as the Operating Theatre here on the ship)... and it was awesome.

I got to see a surgery in Sierra Leone but this was much cooler for many reasons. In Sierra Leone I didn't know anyone, wasn't sure what I could/couldn't do, didn't want to be a bother or in the way, and didn't want to ask any questions (be a pest). This time, however, was totally different. I am friends with many of the OR nurses and physicians, felt considerably more comfortable there, asked tons of questions, and got to see some awesome stuff!  

My first patient today was a kid who had half a nose from a birth defect - Dr. Gary is just incredible, they all are, but to see him making this kid a nose that looked incredible and will literally change the course of his future. He will now be able to go to school, work, have a family.... have a life.  One more life changed.  Oh, what I get to be a part of!!!

My second patient was a big one - a huge mandibular tumor.  I'll spare you the details, but it was incredible, very bloody, and did not make me queasy in the least. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone to med school... but then again, I wouldn't be here and it wouldn't impress me so much!  (I do know I am right where I am supposed to be :))  Especially since I get to be a part of something like this every so often! 

It was just so cool to be able to see the work that happens every day two decks down from my little office.  And I've also decided scrubs should be standard uniform all the time. SO. Comfortable. And who doesn't look good in scrubs?


Krissy

P.S. Thanks for all the feedback on my last post. I love it when the words just sort of... come... without much thought or work. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |