A New Adventure

26 March 2013

One of my un-resolutions I wrote at the beginning of the year:

4. Say YES to adventure.

                This is nothing new. If you know me, you know I’m an adventurer at heart. I mean, look at what I do, where I live! But a friend said something to me last summer that I’ll never forget, when I was trying to decide, at the last minute, to run a 200-mile relay race. He said – “You’ll never regret shared adventures with friends”. And I wholeheartedly believe it to be true. I said yes to that adventure and it was incredible. I want to continue to face new things, adventures, and life changes with this mentality.

Well, I’ve just said yes to another adventure... Glad to know I'm keeping my un-resolutions!

Beginning this summer I’ll be transitioning out of my job as HR Facilitator on board the Africa Mercy and will be joining the Hospital team as Hospital Projects Manager.  It was a crazy week this last week, I went from ‘yes’ to ‘no’ to ‘yes’ and was faced with some tough questions and even tougher answers.  But at the end of it all, I know with 100% certainty that this is why I am here.

It’s a big job; much bigger than me.  I’ll be managing the new healthcare education initiatives, conferences, trainee programs, and maintaining relationships with the department of health and other NGO’s in Congo.  (Or something like that… :))  It feels huge and I feel completely inadequate; but as a dear friend reminded me, that’s exactly where I need to be, because that’s where I know it’s not about me and my skills and strengths but about God and what He’s called me to do and be. 

The most awesome thing?  This isn’t just a new job that I’ve agreed to.  As I was looking at the team of people I will be working with, I realized I would call every single one of them a friend.  Some are very dear friends, some I’ve only just had one or two positive interactions with; but I can see how this last four months has been preparing me for this next step.  This time has been integral for getting to know these people, so that now it’s not just another job with new coworkers, what I’ve agreed to is really a shared adventure with friends.  These people are incredible, amazing adventurers like me who are just choosing to put one foot in front of the other and glorify God to the best of their abilities, whatever that looks like. I fully believe I’ll never regret saying yes, and I’m honored I get to embark on this adventure with such an awesome team.  

It’s all come up in just the last two weeks.  I stumbled through the deciding process, and I realized there was no right or wrong answer; only the question of what will draw me closer to the heart of God and the purposes for which I was created.  I sought the counsel of wise friends and mentors, people who know me well and can look past the emotions and to the realities of what each option presents.  The beauty of choice, however, is that it’s ultimately mine to make.  Though the week was filled with both fear and excitement, nervousness, apprehension, and every other similar feeling… when the word ‘yes’ finally slipped off my tongue, only peace remained.   And for that, I am grateful.

A huge thank you shout to everyone who has walked with me and helped me through this last few weeks! And I will miss you, HR team… thanks for being awesome. :)
k

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |