My oyster.

09 February 2018

Facebook reminded me that it was one year ago yesterday I announced to the world I had gotten my dream job at Harvard and I was moving to Boston for the foreseeable future.  I was so excited.  It was the first and only job I interviewed for after eight years of living and serving in Africa, and my return to American soil and life all seemed to be falling into place.

I moved here expecting, planning for, thinking, assuming this was the beginning of a whole new season. I packed up my life elsewhere, the boxes of memories, souvenirs, and clothing for every climate strewn in various locations across the globe.  They all converged in Boston, where I got a new phone number and bank account and drivers license and voters registration and primary care doctor and accountant and all the little things that together make up roots; plans and components to a settling down, a new life beginning, where I thought America and academia was all I could hope for and dream of.

I ran headfirst at full speed into this new thing.  But, as it turns out, it wasn’t the beginning of a new season. 

It was the tying up and completion of odds and ends to the last one. It was the dismantling of ideals, the crashing destruction of idols, a cacophony of should and ought to in the background of the dawning acceptance and understanding of who I really, truly am, and what I’ve been created to do.  It was a valiant effort to fit into a box and a realization that I won’t ever be truly happy in that box. It was a renewal of passion, a rest, a reminder of who I am and what I have to offer in relationships and to the world.

I’m so profoundly grateful.  

So many people ask some version of where do you see yourself in five or ten years and all I can do is chuckle and say all I can imagine is exactly what I’m doing today; still embracing life to the full, making the world a better place somehow, squeezing every drop of joy and goodness I can no matter where it is or what I’m doing.

And you know what? Things work out.  Somehow, usually beyond any human comprehension.  I’m no longer surprised by that fact, I’m just grateful.

I’m currently working on a project as a consultant for a global surgery organization that I’ve always been a big fan of.  I’m participating in a research study.  I’ve got a job offer I’m thrilled about and will share details in the coming weeks, once a few final questions are answered. I’m embracing every moment here in Boston, realizing that I will have to say goodbye sooner rather than later but reminding myself that no matter how short a time we have with someone special, it’s worth having. It’s looking like I’ll make it through without going into debt, somehow.  And the world is truly my oyster.

And still, every day, I wonder, how is this my life??


With gratitude.  xxk

A few random photos, because everyone likes photos....

Best margarita in the history of the world.  At least in my history. 

Boston, on a beautiful winter walk

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |