Pick up the pace.

26 February 2018

My story is one of restlessness with the status quo, of giant leaps of faith into unknown waters, of not letting fear make decisions for me, of trust, of throwing off everything that hinders, of adventure and joy and life to the full. It’s not doing things because I should or ought to or society says it’s time, but rather pursuing that which makes me come alive and fulfill the cry of my heart to make the world a little bit better place.

I stopped praying for clarity long ago, and when people ask how they can pray for me I will go as far as saying please don’t pray for clarity.  It was in one of Brennan Mannings’ books where Mother Teresa asked how she could pray for him, and he said clarity, and she said no I won’t pray for that.  Because you don’t need to see where you’re placing your feet when you are gripping the trusted hand of the Creator.  You don’t need clarity, you need trust.  

We’re all just trying to put one foot in front of the other and do something good with our lives, I’m sure of it.  My feet happen to take me across the globe, but also unexpected curves in the road, like this Boston season that I never could have imagined turning out as wonderful as it has.  It’s been restful and renewing and beautiful and freeing.  It’s a really nice place to visit, this place of rest, but ultimately I was created to run the race… and it’s time to pick up the pace.

I’m thrilled to share I’ve accepted the position of Country Director Liberia/Benin for an organization focused on prevention and rescue of child trafficking and child slavery in West Africa called Orphan Relief and Rescue.  It’s an organization founded by former Mercy Shippers who saw a need in the countries they served in and decided to do something about it.  I love that.   They’re growing their programs and need someone on the ground to help liaise with the government and oversee the national staff in both countries and see what kind of new projects can be launched to end the troubling epidemic of the buying and selling of children. 

I’ll be moving to Monrovia, Liberia in a few months’ time; a place I’ve never been and know no one, to work in a field I’m unfamiliar with, doing things I’m not really sure about… and the fact that that doesn’t terrify me but rather gets me excited for a new adventure was one of the biggest indicators that this is the next right thing.  I am so excited.

So once again I begin the (now familiar) process of saying goodbyes and closing out this Boston season, of packing up, deciding what to keep and what to send and what to give away, of starting over in another new place with new people and environment and social circles and living situations.  It won’t be easy but most things worth doing aren’t. 

Thank you for being a part of my story, for following the journey, for joining in adventure and pursuing life to the full.  Surely there will be much more to come.

xxk


3 comments :

  1. Welcome back to Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! It has been a pleasure serving with you and providing a small rest stop for you here in Boston. You are one amazing woman of God. He goes before you and has secured your position. I look forward to reading you next entry as you continue to place one trusting foot in front of the other.
    YOU ROCK!!
    Big Hugs,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |