On dreams.

02 January 2018

It seems like just yesterday the world was collectively fueling the frenzied anxiety of potential global market collapse because of a single digit computer glitch called y2k… Which, of course, was a whole lot of nothing.  But that was nearly two decades ago now, which simultaneously makes me feel old and grateful for all of the life that I’ve had the privilege of experiencing.

It’s that nostalgic time of the year, when holidays and family time somehow bring out the best and the worst in all of us; when the ball dropping and Auld Lang Syne singing infuses us with a shot of hope for new and greater things; when my upcoming birthday marks yet another revolution around the sun and I’m so thankful I get to do it again when so many can’t, don’t, or won’t.

The last year was a year of transition and working really hard and wondering and trying new things and learning and becoming more of myself, it seems, every single day. I said see you later to Mercy Ships, finished my masters degree, tried out the American life, destroyed some idols, met some incredible people and some others I hope to never encounter again; I grew up a bit, cried ugly tears and laughed until it hurt, and I’m so grateful for every one of those experiences.

This next year is already a mysterious conglomeration of excitement, of new beginnings, of adventures and challenges and dreams and greater things and hope and trials and I’m so, so happy I get to be and do and feel all of those things.  This is life to the full, for me, for this time and season and year.  I’m so grateful. I’m so happy. I’m so humbled and honored and amazed that I get to be and do and experience all of this. 

I’m not one for resolutions; I try to set my intentions on a daily basis, not a yearly one.  But in the big picture of life and hope and dreams, I do want to throw open my arms wide to possibility and anticipate nothing less than greatness; not for me but for us, collectively, for those I have the privilege of encountering and affecting and helping and serving and teaching and learning from and praying with and for.  Why not? Why can’t we dream and hope and throw off everything that hinders?  Every great thing that ever was, from neurobiology to the symphony to cosmology to democracy began as a dream; came from a place of possibility, of hope, of a belief in something greater than the status quo of the day or the season.  That’s what I want to live and breathe and embrace and encounter as I put one foot in front of the other and keep moving through 2018 and beyond.

May it be so.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |