On Coming Home

08 August 2014

It happens every single time I look out an airplane window and see the green beauty of Seattle just below me as we make the decent.  It happens every time I turn down the driveway to my childhood home in Minnesota.  It happens every time we hit the end of the road the cabin is on and I remember my mom saying who lives down this road? all through my growing up years. (the answer is Nana!) And it happens every single time I return to the ship after an extended time away.

The incredible feeling of coming home. 

It's the anticipation and excitement of seeing dear friends you haven't seen in a long time. It's the look of surprise and then delight from loved ones as they come forward, arms outstretched, to embrace you back into the utter and complete rightness of being in this place in this moment. It's the welcome home cards on the door, words of greeting scrawled across the whiteboard, captured moments in passing on the stairs or in the hallway.

There is so much to look forward to.  Exciting things coming in Benin, faithful friends to catch up with, new friends to be made.

I love this place so, so, so much.

~~

I arrived back on the ship yesterday and am so grateful and honored that I get to call this place my home. I read the ten letters from my mom that had accumulated whilst I was away and it will be a few more days before I can find my feet in the piles of work emails.  I can once again feel the ship swaying ever so slightly here in the Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, as I've been spoiled by ten weeks on land.  This weekend I will do some shopping and some sightseeing and try to get by with my limited Spanish vocabulary, while next week it's time once again to pack up and sail.  I don't love sailing but I do love the color of the ocean way out there.

Love to all. K

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |