On courage.

22 April 2018


As I’ve been telling people over the last few weeks and months about what I’m heading back overseas to do, there’s one word that’s consistently used to describe me:  Brave.

In a week I’m moving to a new country West Africa where I’ve only visited for a few days.  I don’t know anyone very well, I don’t really speak the most widely spoken language, I’ll be working in a field I’m not super familiar with, leading a team that doesn’t have any reason to trust me except on faith. I have to figure out everything, from where to buy eggs and bread and shampoo to transportation throughout the city to where to find the best shawarma all while memorizing the names and faces of what feels like zillions of partners and friends and coworkers and fellow humanitarians all working towards making the world a little bit better.

Everyone, it seems, thinks that’s a very brave thing.  But honestly? It’s just me, walking out the life I was created for. It doesn’t feel like taking the massive leap of faith and tapping impossibly deep wells of bravery to do it. 

What’s brave to me and brave to you are entirely different things, based on our stories. 

What I think is incredibly brave?  Committing your life to another person and walking through thick and thin. Having a child and committing to raising them in the world today to be (hopefully) well-adjusted, resilient, strong adults. Getting up every day even through grief, or chronic pain, or loneliness, or challenges I can’t imagine.  It’s putting your art, or your sport, or your passion out there into a world that may not appreciate it.  It’s you. You’re brave. 

God doesn’t give us courage. He gives us opportunities to be courageous. Every.single.day.  Regardless of what we’re doing and where we find ourselves.   My life and calling is no greater, or more brave, or harder than anyone else’s. Reminder: comparison is the thief of joy. Don’t compare your life to mine. 

What’s brave for me? Asking for help.  Admitting I don’t have it all together all the time.  Being okay with feeling deeply.  Going out with a group of mostly strangers.  Putting my whole self out into the world and not becoming who I think others would want me to be. 

It’s true I’m going to have lots of opportunities to be courageous when I move to Liberia in six days, but no more so than anyone moving to any new city.  I’m really excited, more than anything else, which is a good sign. I’m stocking up on really important things like bandaids and granola bars and hoping I can get it all in under my luggage allowance.  I’m enjoying the sunshine that finally made an appearance; Seattle springtimes can be really glorious once the rain stops! 

Anyway, that’s all for today – go out and do something courageous with what you've been given on this day and every day.   

Cheers - Krissy

Seattle springtime is glorious! 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |