Workin' it.

24 May 2018

Just a quick random story!

I am part of a local expat forum and had seen announcements for a boot camp fitness class followed by a spin class. I like both, and know I'm a much happier and nicer person to be around when I'm getting regular exercise, so I decided to give it a shot.  The classes were much cheaper than at the one big gym in town; that gym costs $289 per month for classes and gym usage, and while many expats can afford that on an embassy or UN salary, I certainly can't!  So I thought I'd try this other place.

So I pulled up with all the bravery I could manage, not knowing anyone or even where it was really.  First off, the guard at the gate had run off to buy some water, so I sat outside the gate waiting to get my vehicle in for a good three or four minutes - the whole time wondering if maybe this was a bad idea all around.

Entryway destroyed in the war

Abandoned fountain outside

When I finally got in, I had to be led to the right staircase, which wasn't clear.  The building was built in 89 and was once really fancy, you can tell, but was destroyed in the war and hasn't been rebuilt.  It was owned by one of the previous president's families, I guess, and the building was important to one side in the war, and it's destruction important to the other.

Anyway, it's still pretty sketch, and I'm walking up these steps literally wondering if I'm going to make it out alive....





Then I get up to the room, and they've done a great job fixing it up - new floors, windows, and some ceiling fans and lights... but honestly, not really up to par with gyms back home, so it felt a little disappointing.  It was also really, really hot, with no air conditioning.  I was the only one there, because nothing ever starts on time, and even though I know that I still show up early and end up waiting around.  A few other people eventually wandered in, but the whole time I'm standing around thinking this was a really bad idea and I'm probably not ever coming back.

But then things turned around.  I found out the story of the place, and it's a locally-owned business and they're just trying to get it off the ground, and they were all some of the nicest people I've ever met. They were so encouraging, and kind, at the same time as being forceful and kinda pushy, getting us to push ourselves outside our comfort zone.  Everyone was encouraging and so, so nice and fun to be with while sweating more than I've ever sweated in my entire life.

Trainers extraordinaire!  (I told them to look mean... but they aren't)

And what once felt like it might have been a terrible idea turned out to be one of the things I've loved the most so far in my time here.  Amazing people, awesome workouts, and I'm getting used to working out in the heat!  I look forward to going every Monday and Wednesday!   So moral of the story is... first impressions aren't always right!

Thumbs up for a great workout!

(PS if you're local and want more info, comment on this blog. All comments are kept private unless I choose to share them)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi playground |